Use a Windows computer without antivirus is something that is simply unimaginable in the days of today. The great popularity of the Microsoft operating system makes the creators of the virus to focus on making viruses for Windows, which has a potential audience much larger. This explains in part to the lower incidence of virus of the computer in other operating systems. It is important to also say that Unix-based systems had the security focus since its inception, which also contributes to decrease the occurrence of viruses in these systems.
And the cell phones? It is necessary to use an antivirus on your phone? There is even a danger so great as to justify this? Depends on the operating system of your mobile phone and care that you have when you install programs, open web sites and read emails. A problem of using antivirus on mobile is that it will always occupy the memory of the device, leaving your phone less fast than it could be. In smartphones with the more memory limited this can be a very high price to pay.
On Android for example each app is somewhat isolated from other. When you install a new program on your device, you can see a list of permissions that the program has, that limit greatly the radius of action of even if you want to do something wrong in your device. I don’t even use any anti virus for mobile, but follow the safety recommendations below on my Android phone:
- only install applications that are well rated by other users
- check always if the permissions requested by the application are compatible with the function of the app
- never open links that I know of in and-which is more than I get
- only install apps that are provided by the Android Market, as they are also a safety control based on claims and complaints of the users
- do not modify or replace system files
- I try to use the apps the most well-known and tested by a lot of people
With these simple recommendations, your Android phone will hardly need of an antivirus. For other operating systems such as Symbian, iOS or even Windows Phone 7, these tips are still all valid, because they are very general.
And you? What do you think of using antivirus on mobile? You use some in your unit? It makes a difference to you? Already had problems before?